Ever since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, people have become more vigilant about the cleanliness and safety of their homes. They want to make sure everything is germ-free and sanitized, and it is well known that bleach is a good product for disinfecting and killing bacteria and viruses.
However, hiring professional cleaning services is by far the easiest way to make your house a healthy environment, especially if you live in Wasilla, Alaska. Nevertheless, there are a few things you should know about bleach, because it’s not good for every surface and it can cause permanent damage if not handled with care. Read on.
What surfaces should not be cleaned with bleach?
Bleach is particularly great for sanitizing the bathroom. Your ceramic toilet bowls and sinks will be shinier than ever after being washed with bleach thanks to its acidic nature. Also, since bleach is a powerful disinfectant, it can kill most dangerous germs in your bathroom. It’s also great for when you want to deep clean your shower or bathtub, as it dissolves all the skin particles left after showering.
However, not all surfaces should be cleaned with bleach. You should avoid putting bleach on:
- Stone countertops
- Wooden surfaces
- Anything made of metal
These three materials are porous, and when bleach is poured onto them, it can easily fill in the pores. What’s more, bleach might not come out completely when washed off. It can also eat the material and make holes where bacteria can multiply. Moreover, it would not be safe to use these surfaces afterwards, as you may fail to wash away the bleach entirely.
If you have countertops made of stone, like granite, using bleach to clean them is not a good idea. Bleach can dull the surface and make it matte. It may also dissolve the safety enamel and go into the stone, creating holes and dents. In order to properly clean marble or granite countertops, you should use non-acidic cleaning products, like baking soda, dish soap or hydrogen peroxide.
You should clean any wooden spoon, chopping board or a plain wooden surface using soap and water and let the surface fully dry. Bleach is too strong of a chemical to be used on wood and it can do more damage than good. It can whiten it and leave ugly spots, which are irreversible.
Cleaning metal with bleach is not a good idea because it can damage its natural shine, and nobody likes dull metal. Avoid putting bleach on shower heads, eating utensils, and baking trays. You can find another way to clean your kitchen sink but avoid using bleach if it’s made from metal.
Do you need to rinse after cleaning with bleach?
Absolutely. No matter if the bleached surface is used for preparing food or not, everything cleaned with bleach should be rinsed with warm water. Bleach is not healthy, and there are specific safety tips for when you’re cleaning with it.
- Always use rubber gloves and a face mask, to prevent skin contact.
- Never mix bleach with other chemicals, as it can make toxic fumes, and even cause an explosion.
- Dilute bleach with water when using it, it doesn’t need to be fully concentrated for cleaning.
- Keep bleach away from food.
Looking for professional cleaning services in Wasilla, Alaska?
If dealing with bleach seems like a tiring process and you want to avoid all the risks, give us a call! White Lilac can match you with professionals who know how to safely clean and disinfect your house using bleach and other time-tested cleaning products. Enjoy a relaxing day at the Iditarod Trail and leave the cleaning to us. We’re always here to help.